Tuesday, January 09, 2007

iPhone calendar-sharing questions

My original wish on this blog was for a handheld, updatable calendar that could sync with my wife's iCal calendar. The Apple iPhone will deliver on that wish, provided I'm willing to shell out the $ for an iPhone.

But there are still questions. I don't own a Mac, and am not planning to buy one. Will iPhone users be able to plug directly into .Mac? Then I could publish my iPhone calendars to .Mac. Even then, I'm not sure I want to pay for a .Mac account. Does it really make sense to pay for .Mac if you're using so little of that service? How about an a-la-carte .Mac calendar sharing service for less money?

Another option for existing iCal users to share calendar info is to set up a private WebDAV server to share. I've previously checked with my ISP, who says he doesn't provide private WebDAV servers. Maybe I could set up one on my own home network, but it sounds like a lot of work, and could I update that WebDAV server from the road, and most importantly, from the iPhone instead of a Mac running iCal?

Questions and more questions.

3 comments:

Tom Bailey said...

And those questions lead to more questions and so on.

http://sms100.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I'm using Google calendar which is a great thing - it is 100 % compatible with iCal on my Mac. Now on the PC side, that's a little more tricky, since outlook uses a proprietary calender format. You may want to try Mozilla Sunbird, a cross platform calender app that basically does the same. Should be possible to sync that with your phone.

Anonymous said...

My answer to this question is Airset. I use Mac's, Windows, Palm. I am able to sync them all (although not outlook, I use Sunbird on the windows side of things).